Ahh...Weaning

Weaning. Being that I've never had to do this before, this first go around is a bit crazy. I have no idea how to do this, only what I've read online, which how reliable can all that be? So, I decided to make this monumental decision after a couple weekends ago... Chris and I took Avery to a fellow work associates house for a mid-evening concert. He was having a Dave Matthew's cover band play for a couple hours. Well, I had to leave the party, which meant leaving Chris alone with tons of people he didn't know. I had to go sit in the car, which was about 98 degrees being that it is August. As if this isn't a pretty enough picture, it just gets worse. I'm sweating, there isn't a breeze, and I have to duck everyone someone walks by the car so they don't see me sitting there in all my glory. Later than evening, we went to the Symphony on the Prairie. Well, I had to leave in the middle of that to go pump too! So as I'm sitting in the car, in the middle of a field parking lot, scared that someone is going to come by and break into the car while I'm in there because it's 10:00 at night, it starts raining. I freak out because I can just envision Chris trying to load up Avery, the wagon, diaper bag, cooler, blanket, etc. in the pouring rain. So I shut down the operation, sprint back to Chris (which took way too long being that I haven't done much of anything active in quite some time) to load up our stuff. It was after this experience that I decide, it's time to wean.
Which leads me to my next point...why is it that there is such a negative connotation to breastfeeding and weaning to begin with? I'm sure some of you are sitting there, reading this and wondering "Why is she talking about this? It's such a person thing!" Like pooping or farting, breastfeeding just has this taboo about it that people don't want to see or discuss. Why? Granted, I don't like seeing a woman just flop it out in public; at least use a cover up, but nonetheless, it is a natural part of life that is very healthy and beneficial for your baby. Obviously a baby, not a 3yr old...I do have serious issues with women breastfeeding more than a year old...when your kid can ask for a sip, it was time to stop 8 months ago. But anyway, I just wish it was more of a socially acceptable thing. Us women can't leave our boobs at home when we leave our baby, so therefore we must either take them or pump. Yet anytime a woman is discreetly breastfeeding her baby in public, if feel like all eyes stare, mouths are wide open, gasps can be heard! Just boobs and milk. Get over it.

Comments

  1. this made me laugh! i completely understand how you feel! i am much less self conscious with carly than with noah, so i don't feel bad about "doing it" in public. i do hate that she is so dependent on me, but i know that it won't be like that forever. i think it will be easier next time around (for you, not me:).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A-Z About Me

Baby Poo

Avery Update