What does Christmas mean to you?
I was cleaning the basement Sunday and wondered over to our bookcase to find a book to dig into, since I was procrastinating finish up my work. I happened upon The Nativity Story and decided, what a perfect time to read such a book, right before Christmas. It was only 200 pages so I knew it would be a quick read....
All I can say is WOW! What an amazing story. Of course we've all heard the story of how baby Jesus got here, hundreds of time in fact, but the way this particular version put it made me have a new found appreciation for the entire cast. There are so many details I could go into, which I will spare you from, but mainly the way Mary and Joseph handled themselves and the news of their baby was incredible. Mary taking the news from Gabriel by faith; believing that whatever God's will was, she wanted to be used, regardless of what it meant for her life. She was honoring God, yet at what cost I'm sure she had no idea. Joseph, deciding to marry Mary after knowing she was pregnant, he wasn't the father, and apparently they were to raise the Son of God. Talk about pressure!! If only I could reflect their spirit and attitude in my daily life.
From the book, Mary's thoughts: "How was she to raise the Son of God? What was she supposed to do when he got sick? Would he get sick? Would he stub his toe, skin his knees, cut his chin? Would he cry with weariness and wail when he got hungry? Would he run to her arms when he needed comfort, or would he look to Adonai? Would she be a comfort to him...or a disappointment? For she was only a woman, prone to mistakes, too quick to worry, and sometimes too slow to reveal the deep affections of her heart." I myself have wondered these exact things...would Jesus throw a tantrum when Mary told him no, like Avery does?? And even the fact that she was raising THE SAVIOR...incredible!
It's just amazing what a true miracle the birth of Christ was. I feel as though we've become so obsessed with Christmas in the sense of gifts, lights, decorations, Santa, parties, etc. that we sometimes forget what we are truly celebrating. We worry over how many Christmas's we have to attend, what presents to buy our family, snow and traffic, cookie platters and the list goes on and on. I myself have wondered about starting new traditions with my own family but I think the one tradition I must make a priority, is teaching my kids what the meaning of Christmas really is: One Child, sent to earth to change the world.
All I can say is WOW! What an amazing story. Of course we've all heard the story of how baby Jesus got here, hundreds of time in fact, but the way this particular version put it made me have a new found appreciation for the entire cast. There are so many details I could go into, which I will spare you from, but mainly the way Mary and Joseph handled themselves and the news of their baby was incredible. Mary taking the news from Gabriel by faith; believing that whatever God's will was, she wanted to be used, regardless of what it meant for her life. She was honoring God, yet at what cost I'm sure she had no idea. Joseph, deciding to marry Mary after knowing she was pregnant, he wasn't the father, and apparently they were to raise the Son of God. Talk about pressure!! If only I could reflect their spirit and attitude in my daily life.
From the book, Mary's thoughts: "How was she to raise the Son of God? What was she supposed to do when he got sick? Would he get sick? Would he stub his toe, skin his knees, cut his chin? Would he cry with weariness and wail when he got hungry? Would he run to her arms when he needed comfort, or would he look to Adonai? Would she be a comfort to him...or a disappointment? For she was only a woman, prone to mistakes, too quick to worry, and sometimes too slow to reveal the deep affections of her heart." I myself have wondered these exact things...would Jesus throw a tantrum when Mary told him no, like Avery does?? And even the fact that she was raising THE SAVIOR...incredible!
It's just amazing what a true miracle the birth of Christ was. I feel as though we've become so obsessed with Christmas in the sense of gifts, lights, decorations, Santa, parties, etc. that we sometimes forget what we are truly celebrating. We worry over how many Christmas's we have to attend, what presents to buy our family, snow and traffic, cookie platters and the list goes on and on. I myself have wondered about starting new traditions with my own family but I think the one tradition I must make a priority, is teaching my kids what the meaning of Christmas really is: One Child, sent to earth to change the world.
That is truly the most important lesson you can teach a child.
ReplyDelete