Body Image Issues - Children addition

I saw yesterday on Good Morning America a story about a girl who was 6yrs old and was worried that she was fat. Here is the link to the video and article...PLEASE WATCH! (Body Image Issues: 6-Year-Old Girl Worries She Is Fat - ABC News She came home and asked her mom why her tummy was so fat? Her mom responded with "Why would you ask me this" and the daughter replied that a girl in the bathroom said that she had a fat tummy. In a recent survey, half of girls age 3-6 were worried that they were fat. Doesn't this outrage anyone else but me?! How is it that these young girls are concerned with being fat, when they should be worried about how to tie their shoes or which swing to play on at the park. The 6yrs turns out to be totally normal and healthy according to her pediatrician, who said her BMI is completely okay.
I found myself worried about what sort of message I am going to send to my kids regarding body image. I have a song that I sing to Avery when we go to the gym that I made up "...oh we're going, oh we're going to the gym, so Mommy can get thin...". After hearing this news story, I stopped, and wondered that this is exactly why our kids have such negative body images. I can't even love myself and enjoy my own body. You can ask Chris too...he can for sure attest to the countless time I've sobbed uncontrollably regarding how fat I am, and I need to lose weight, eat better, etc. I try on ever piece of clothing in my closet, only to end up in elastic pants and a baggy shirt to hide all my insecurities. How can I teach my kids to love themselves when I don't love the way I am? Of course I can try but if I don't practice what I preach, isn't it moot?
I just hope that I can work to show my children that what truly matters is on the inside...the condition of your heart and how you treat others. God wants us to put on love: "Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." (Colossians 3:12-14). And for the record, I've stopped singing my "get thin" song.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A-Z About Me

Baby Poo

Avery Update