Heavy Stuff...
I recently heard about an acquaintance who was under investigation for sexually abusing his 4 year old little girl. While my mouth hit the floor, I was in shock at how something like this happens. Sadness, anger, disgust, sorrow...so many emotions for that family. And combine it with the recently news about Elizabeth Smart and her abduction and assault, it makes me sick. How does anyone person trust another person to watch their kids? Or how do you ever let your child our of your sight? I know we live in a sinful world but I struggle with how such horrible things happen to innocent children.
I think about when our kids get older, meet friends at school and want to have sleep overs or go and play at their house. I'm certain that I will always say no and they will be forced to have their friends over here. I remember when I was a kid, my parents would let my brother and I ride our bikes all over the neighborhood. We'd be gone for hours. Did they worry too or just trust us and our neighborhood? We would even play outside in our own backyard unsupervised. Maybe my mom secretly checked on us without us knowing or seeing her, but still...I'm sure someone could have snatched us in a minute.
I don't understand what the thrill or arousing thing is in doing such dreadful things to children. It's moments like those that make me wish I did have a bubble to put my kids in for the rest of their lives. I pray every night, if for nothing else or anyone else, I pray for my kids. That they will be safe and that when I wake up in the morning, they will be there. I just hope God always keeps them guarded.
I think about when our kids get older, meet friends at school and want to have sleep overs or go and play at their house. I'm certain that I will always say no and they will be forced to have their friends over here. I remember when I was a kid, my parents would let my brother and I ride our bikes all over the neighborhood. We'd be gone for hours. Did they worry too or just trust us and our neighborhood? We would even play outside in our own backyard unsupervised. Maybe my mom secretly checked on us without us knowing or seeing her, but still...I'm sure someone could have snatched us in a minute.
I don't understand what the thrill or arousing thing is in doing such dreadful things to children. It's moments like those that make me wish I did have a bubble to put my kids in for the rest of their lives. I pray every night, if for nothing else or anyone else, I pray for my kids. That they will be safe and that when I wake up in the morning, they will be there. I just hope God always keeps them guarded.
Heartbreaking, and completely out of my ability to understand...
ReplyDeleteI 100% agree with you about overprotecting our children. I was just talking with Shane the other day about this because I know we're going to be "those parents" who never let our kids sleep over at anyone else's house and who require them to be within our eyesight at all times when playing outside. It's even hard to leave him with people we generally trust because you just never know. You hear so many stories about people whom the parents trust abusing children. I remember going to sleepovers at my friends' homes all the time growing up...many times my parents had never met their parents and honestly it's the grace of God that nothing ever happened! We also rode bikes all over our neighborhood and stayed outside all day, exploring and playing. It's just a different world now. Sad, huh?
I pray every day for supernatural protection over Nolen and my baby girl. I also pray that God will send people into our lives who love our children the way we do and are committed to their safety and protection. I'm choosing to trust that God will protect them and give us wisdom and discernment as their parents to make the best choices for them!
Angela that is a fabulous thought..I definitely am going to pray that same thing for our kids as well...At least we can trust each other!
ReplyDelete